In this post from Freedom Village Dental in Jacksonville, we focus on important behaviors that affect oral health. Of course, effective brushing and flossing are two vital habits for healthy teeth, but there are many more things we can do to preserve a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is necessary for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do enjoy calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are dangerous to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar leads to the production of dangerous cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to tooth decay.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This speeds up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can crack teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are detrimental to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools. It makes more sense to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, talk to doctor dentist about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your little ones fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder – seek professional help right away. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
We encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that advances dental health as well as overall physical health.
Contact Freedom Village Dental:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):